Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Memory Lane: The Inn at Manchester Brunchcakes

I have been making this recipe as my go-to pancake recipe for decades now. We stayed at the Inn at Manchester, in Manchester, VT sometime in the 1980s, and they served these yummy pancakes with locally made maple syrup. I'm not much of a fan of pancakes: they lie leaden in my stomach, and leave me with a heavy, overly cake-y feel and soak up syrup too quickly. These heavenly discs are light, slightly tangy, and definitely not cake-y or overly sweet. Best of all, maple syrup lies on top, so you get just the right amount with each bite without going into a sugar coma.

The Inn at Manchester Brunchcakes

Sift together:

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Add to sifted ingredients, in the order given:

1 cup sour cream
1 cup small curd cottage cheese
4 WELL BEATEN eggs
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Blend until well combined. Don't overmix; batter will be slightly lumpy.

Drop by large tablespoons onto a well greased hot griddle; when bubbles form and the edge begins to look a little dry, flip and cook the other side. Place on a warm plate in a warm oven to hold while making the rest of the batter. Serve with butter, maple syrup or your favorite fruit syrup.  Serves 2 or 3 breakfasters. (When I made these for our entire family of 6 I would double the recipe.)



No comments: